Finding the lump in my right breast

On Thursday March 10, 2011 I found a lump in my right breast.  It was pretty big so it wasn’t hard to miss.  I wasn’t doing a self breast exam.  I don’t really even remember how I found it.  I either accidentally happened to bump my breast and felt it or I felt it in the shower.  How I found it doesn’t really matter….what does matter is that I found it.  I’ve had lumps before so I didn’t really think anything of it.  They usually go away in a day or two.  This one didn’t go away.  I waited four days to call my GYN.  I believe I knew the minute I felt this lump, I knew in my gut it was breast cancer.  It was just a feeling I had.

On Monday March 14, 2011 I called my GYN and was able to get in that afternoon.  I marked the lump with a penso I would be sure he’d be able to find it.  Usually when I go in with a lump, I can’t find it to show the doctor where it is.  He had no trouble finding it.  He said, “Yep, there is definately something there.”  We set up a mammogram and ultrasound for the next morning.

Tuesday March 15, 2011 I went for the mammogram and ultrasound and marked it with a pen again just in case they couldn’t find it.  Every other time I’ve gone in for a mammogram/ultrasound, the lump is gone.  Not this time.  The technician did the mammogram and ultrasound and when she was done, she rubbed my arm in a comforting manner and said she was going to have the doctor come in and discuss what the next step would be.  I said to myself “Oh shit!”  Something wasn’t right.

The doctor came in and said that there was something definately there and it wasn’t a cyst.  She said that she recommended that I have a breast biopsy and a biopsy of my lymph node.  She said I needed to prepare myself that it could be cancer.  She said that she hated to give me bad news.  We scheduled the biopsy for the following day, Wednesday. 

On Wednesday March 16, 2011 I was to be there at 8 a.m. with the procedure being at 8:30 a.m. Right when we were getting ready to leave, the nurse called and said, “don’t come yet. Our electricity is out.  She would call me when it came back on.”  I said to her I hope you can still get me in today.  She said they would get me in.  So, I sat back down and watched some TV.  I started to fall asleep.  The nurse called me back right before 9 a.m. and said they were ready and had the electricity back, was I ready to come in.  I said I’d be there as soon as I could.  We got there about 9:15 a.m. or so.  I don’t remember what time they took me back but my Mom said I was in there for about 2 hours.

I signed all the appropriate papers, changed into the robe after taking my bra and shirt off.  They got me all prepped.  Debbie marked the spots after using the ultrasound then the doctor, Dr. Wolverton came in and explained what she was going to do.  They turned the bed so I could watch what they were doing on the monitor.  She numbed me up real good.  I didn’t even feel the needle go in for her to numb me up.  She said the instruments she used sounded like a staple gun and she was right!  She took 4 biopsies of the mass in the breast and 4 biopsies from the lymph node.  She asked me if I had any questions for her.  I said since you’ve been doing this for 25 years, what do you think it is, what does your gut tell you?  She said she was 50% sure it was cancer.  We would have to wait for the pathology report to see what stage it is.  She said I would need to have surgery to have the lump removed.  Depending on what kind of cancer it was, I might have to have my ovaries removed.  They said I would have the results Friday afternoon.

On Thursday March 17, 2011 I didn’t do much of anything.  My arm and breast were sore from the biopsy.  I went to my therapy session that night.  When I got there, I called my Mom to let her know I had made it to therapy.  She told me that Dr. Saunders, my GYN, had called and wanted to talk to me – he wanted to know how late I’d be home.  When she said that, I knew right then and there that the news was not going to be good.


9 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Cindy
    Sep 08, 2011 @ 13:39:26

    Thanks so much for sharing your story Amy! I think it is so important that we know we are not alone in our experiences. I’m sure your story will resonate with many women (and men) and I look forward to hearing more about your journey! You are such a strong woman and have so much support. I love you!! Cindy


  2. Cindy
    Sep 08, 2011 @ 13:41:05

    Oh, and PS, breast cancer sucks!


  3. Sally
    Sep 08, 2011 @ 15:23:11

    I’m so glad you are doing this, Amy! It will not only provide information and inspiration to others, but hopefully it will be cathartic for you as well. Hugs to you Amy!

    I’ll be eagerly awaiting more posts …..


  4. suze
    Sep 08, 2011 @ 22:27:10

    sweetie i am so proud of you for telling the story and for being so strong willed. I know you will beat it!! and draw strength from all of your friends who love you ok? The Sees is included 😉 xx


  5. Otalia69
    Sep 09, 2011 @ 01:19:36

    sending L*O*V*E to you always babe…such important info. for all to know & take to heart! P*E*A*C*E…☮♡☺xo♥♀♀✩ツ♫


  6. Lavinia
    Sep 10, 2011 @ 16:47:59

    Wow Amy , thanx so much for sharing your story ! You’re such a brave lady & you stay strong you hear . Cancer is such a b*tch . My 14 yr old brother had bone cancer so I know all too well about how hard it is !!! Will say a prayer for you love , keep fighting xo


  7. Kaylene
    Sep 11, 2011 @ 09:35:46

    Brings the beginnings all back……thanks for sharing that….I love you.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: